Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Life in 6 words

I read an article today on Scholastic.com that talked about a teacher who had her students write memoirs in 6 words.  I rarely open these emails. They typically go directly into my trash without a second look but today I was compelled for some reason.  The article talked about how Hemingway once wrote a 6 word sentence that told a much longer and larger story.  "For sale: baby shoes, never worn" It just goes to show you that less is more sometimes.

This got me to thinking, so much is packed into the smallest phrases of our lives. 
I love you.
I hate that.
I can't do this anymore.
I'm sorry we did everything we could.
Congratulations it's a girl.
Please mommy!?
These little phrases can change our worlds in amazing or terrible ways.  Why do we as people give so much power to words and yet use them so carelessly? I hear people claim that they were misunderstood or that they didn't mean what they had said.  If everyone took the time to think and value the words they did say, conversations may look a lot different.  So here is my attempt at a memoir in 6 words.  A word of caution: I am no Hemingway!

My life began with "I do"

2 comments:

  1. I feel now I must craft carefully. You are so right; words are important and we should tred so lightly with what we say. I know about the Hemingway & have had this conversation with my students and they have written the six words. It's a powerful lesson. Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Michelle,

    I didn't know you had a blog. I read this and love it!

    ReplyDelete